- Type of AC : Window and Split?
Choice of AC depends on your comfort and room location. Window AC’s are cheaper than Split ac. Split AC consists of separate indoor and outdoor units thereby called split ac. Since it has separate outdoor unit consisting of Compressor and condenser, indoor unit is very quiet. Split ac are more decorative and comes with many filters. If you want quite ac with aesthetic looks go with split ac. But if you have a window in your room or a wall which open to outside, you can go with window ac. Since window ac is a single unit incorporating all components including compressor, it makes more noise. Normally window ac are available upto 2.5 Ton because above that, their noise became unbearable. Consequently, for higher capacity you have to go with split ac. 5 ton and above split ac comes in floor mounted model.
If you are a middle class person or if you do not want to spend more on AC, window ac is good choice.
- Inverter AC or Non Inverter AC: In Non inverter ac, compressor motor has two option-either on or off. Whereas in Inverter ac, motor can run at variable speed and thus saves electricity. Therefore, Inverter ac are good for power saving.
- Refrigerant: Now, many companies stated shifting to CFC free, Ozone friendly refrigerant. R410 was manufactured to replace R22. Now many companies are using R410 for their products. Previously R-22 was used in all the AC, but since it cause ozone depletion, it is being phased out by 2030. However, R-22 is more efficient refrigerant, but for environmental consideration, please go with Ozone friendly refrigerant. Companies like Godrej are befooling consumers by writing R-22 as eco-friendly. Most of refrigerant are ecofriendly, but we are concerned about Ozone here not ecology. Be careful. Say No to R-22 (Trade name Freon).
- Compressor: Compressor is the heart of ac. Please read my last blog too for more information about different companies making AC’s by clicking here. Here I will let you know about different type of compressor. For small capacity i.e below 5 Ton, there are two type of compressor normally used: 1) Rotory. 2) Reciprocating.
Rotary compressor used less moving parts and thus need less maintenance. Reciprocating compressors are more rugged. For home AC, go with rotary compressor as they are more energy-efficient.
- Some important terms: a) Ton or tonnage: In air-conditioning field, Ton is a unit of cooling not of weight. 1 Ton is defined as amount of cooling produce by melting of one ton of ice. The other unit for cooling capacity which is normally mentioned on AC unit is BTU/Hr. . One ton is equal to 12000 BTU/hr..
- b) EER: Energy efficiency ratio: it is defined as the ratio of the cooling capacity (in Btu per hour) to the power input (in watts). Higher EER rating means the more efficient the air conditioner.