Below two book I read when I was in first year of my Engineering. Both of them help me a lot in different ways. If you want more control over yourself read first book, if you are looking for courage, inspiration and motivation read second book. If you need both read both books.
- Never Give up.
- Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt
- There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
- Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.
- A man fails many time in his life but he is not a failure until he gives up
- No dream comes true until you wake up and go to work.
- You can have anything you want if you are willing to give up the belief that you can´t have it.
- Be determined to live for your dreams.
- Stop fearing the failures. Start preparing for success
- Make up your mind that no matter what comes your way, no matter how difficult, no matter how unfair, you will do more than simply survive. You will thrive in spite of it.
Below are some easy and practical ways to improve your personality:
- Walk faster: Those peoples who do not know what they want to do or where they want to go, walk slower. However, when you have clarity in your mind and you know your destination-you walk faster. Therefore, to improve your personality and to make a better image in others mind walk faster. Slow walkers are perceived as lazy and without any goals.
- Keep smiling: Peoples like to interact with those peoples who keep smiling. Smiling also has a psychological impact on you. If you are nervous or tense, try to smile. All your nervousness and tension will go away. If you don’t know how to smile, just sit with you back straight and your chest out. Now stretch your lips –you are already smiling. If that does not work for you, think of some happy moments from your past, it will surely makes you smile.
- Dress to impress: Though, most of us have decent dressing sense, however, some don’t. Many peoples want to wear whatever pleases them. This is not a good idea especially if your taste in clothing is not good. When I was unmarried, I use to go shopping with my elder brother because his choice in fabric is better than my. After my marriage, my wife is in charge of my dressing. Knowing your strength and weakness is very important. Different peoples are expert in different field. It is not necessary or even possible, to be expert in every field. Hence, if you are like me- having difficulty in selecting what suits best to you, take help of others. Second most important thing is to dress as per occasion. It is not a good idea that you wear what is most comfortable or your favourite everywhere. Dress as per occasion. In a formal occasion dress formally. Small things can create big impact. A properly selected tie can enhance your personality. Please do not wear matching tie with shirt.
- Be punctual: If you are always late, whether it is work or relationship, no one will take you seriously. Being punctual is very important to create positive impact of your personality. We all wants to reach on time but only few actually reached on time. If you want to reach on time, stop thinking what time you have to reach and start thinking what time you have to start from your location to reach on time taking into consideration of traffic. Add few extra minutes and then fix you time of departure. With this approach you will reach on time. One more way to reach on time is by keeping your watch ten minutes faster.
- Confidence: Without having confidence, nothing else can improve your personality. To develop your confidence, first pin point your weaknesses and then work on eliminating them.
- Physical Appearance: Take Good care of yourself. In some countries, good looking peoples earn more than others. It is not about things you cannot change like your height or colour. However, it is about maintaining you and keeping yourself in good shape. It is about being healthy and fit. More importantly, if you are healthy you will be more active and more productive. You will be less prone of diseases and achieve more.
- Sense of humour: Sense of humour does not mean to start cracking jokes on others. It will not improve your personality this way. Everyone does not have sense of humour and most of the peoples don’t even know that they are lacking sense of humour. First you must learn to laugh over yourself. Start appreciating others. Be polite and talk about those funny things which do not offend other. For that, you must first ensure what kind of person you are talking with. You can always start conversation by talking about weather as it keeps changing regularly.
Sometimes you write your heart out, yet you didn’t find overwhelming response. On other time, you write a simple post about any topic and it becomes instant hit. It is really difficult to figure out what people’s will like and what not! My primary intention is to inspire peoples to do worthwhile things. Our life is full of choices. Right choice takes us forward and wrong choices, makes our life miserable. To move forward we need to make right choices, which we can only make when we have a goal in our life. Goals or objectives must be SMART. Here, SMART is acronym for
Therefore, our goals should be aligning with above parameters. Suppose your goal statement is “I want to be rich”. With this goal you will not be able to achieve anything. This goal statement is neither time bound nor specific. Our goal statement must full fill all the above criteria to be SMART. SMART objective will be something like this: I want to be a millionaire within 2 years. If your goal is not time bound, you will never have urgency to attain. You will keep postponing it. If your goal is not measurable, then you will never know whether you attain your goal or not? If you make an unrealistic or unattainable goal, then you will just waste time and money. For example, if your goal is to create a Robot smarter than humans in 2 days. Since time period is too less compared to the amount the work, it is an unrealistic goal which you set without any proper investigation.
There are a lot of students too reading this blog; it will not be fair to end this post without considering one example of goal setting for them. However, before setting goals, you must evaluate your strength and weakness and your resources. For example, there is a student who gain 45% marks this year and he makes below goal statement for him:
“I want to be the topper in class.”
This is not a goal, this can be termed as wishful thinking. This goal is neither “Specific” not “Realistic”. Though, nothing is impossible but there are practical limits of improvement. There are only 24 hours in a day. You cannot change this fact. Therefore, more realistic and specific goal will be:
I want to achieve 75% marks in each subject in next exams.
Now, this is a SMART objective which you can achieve through hard work and dedication.
After setting a goal, next most important thing is how to achieve it? If you have a big goal, like one year or ten-year goal, first break it into small goals. To achieve 75% marks in final exam, you have to do well in each semester and class test. Therefore, set monthly targets for achieving your goals. Keep higher targets for the beginning as you cannot change your past later on and future is unpredictable. Initial advantage will help you achieve your goal even if in future you might face some problem.
Finding a decent job is the primary purpose of education in India for parents and students! Students and parents have nothing to do with learning, gaining knowledge, understanding things around us and making life better using the knowledge and information gained. That’s why we produce minimum numbers of Nobel Prize winners and maximum nos. of Doctors and Engineers. All +2 (Intermediate) students who secure good marks in exam have only two choices-either to be Engineer or Doctor. As if Art, literature, Economics, geography, Commerce and Science etc. are not worthy for studies. Only those who were not able to secure admission in Engineering and medical opt for other discipline with heavy heart.
Schools do not adopt practical and creative approach to teach students, they just want students to memories notes and vomit them back in exam. Most of the science labs in school are not functional or have faulty equipment’s. The condition of govt. school is even worst.
We fail to realise that the basic purpose of education is not getting job but learning and developing our self as intellectuals. Be well-educated not well-trained.
Kaabil bano, Kaamyabi jhak maar ke peche aaygi!
Students must realise that they must use their brain to think new ideas. Don’t make it an encyclopedia by memorising everything. You can buy an encyclopedia in Rs 500 but you can not get a thinking and intelligent brain even after spending millions of dollars.
The guy who is labelled dumb in India, becomes genius when moved to western countries. Because here, asking question with elders is immoral. Doubting is irreligious and saying truth which goes against any religion is heresy. In west kids are encouraged to ask question, they are free to discuss their new ideas and they are rewarded for breaking taboos. In western countries students are not forced to peruse engineering or medical courses but they are encourage to take a course which they find interesting.
Some one rightly said “The purpose of school is less about preparing individuals to live independently and more about preparing individuals to live as members of a society by imparting knowledge about the world. In other words, the role of schooling is to equip individuals with the skills necessary to participate in the social life of their community and to change the nature of the social order as needed or desired.”